|Okay, stop what you’re doin’, cause I’m about to ruin the
image & the style that you’re used to. I look funny but yo
I’m makin’ money!
|I need to charge my phone!|
When I read about Jenny McCarthy or see her speak on TV I sometimes feel like I should be watching the trailer for a bad scary movie! The deep movie guy voice comes on.. “In a world where crazy is used as currency… One woman is the richest in the land…” It’s not to hard to find out how I feel about her, her views, & the super harmful misinformation she spreads without any facts or real knowledge to back it up. I hadn’t heard from her in a while & we try to keep clear of The View as well but someone just posted this on my Facebook & I was pretty….well see for yourself! “Jenny McCarthy Abandons Her Controversial Position On Vaccines”
Really? Really!?! Come on now. I’m sorry but when I saw this I really had to check twice to see if this was something Jon Stewart posted or maybe a satire news site like the Onion but nope! You spent the last 7 years spouting anti vaccine propaganda & being the driving force behind an organization that scares the crap out of me!
Her preaching her crazy then flipping on it reminds me of a guy I used to know! He had something similar going on in his life…
Man! That really happened! You can really just do almost anything you want when you are a celebrity & have some money. Crazy! Anyway…I’m pushing my soap box back under the table! I know I’ve got some of you who are anti vaccine & maybe even a couple McCarthy fans (I’m sure she has done some good things, I don’t know of any but it could happen) but its just an issue I’m passionate about, I’ve spent to many years working in ambulances & the ER to not be vocal about something that I know saves lives!
To: The leadership of the “KIDS” tribe of the Hibben Home
From: Dad aka ‘Hey You’ aka ‘Dude’ aka ‘Momma…I mean Dad’
Date: Sunday, Dec. 8th 2013 @7:40PM After receiving the call that school is cancelled tomorrow
I have just been notified that school will NOT be in session tomorrow & as a result of this as well as the thick ice that is on our street we will be forced to co-habitat in this house without the possibility of ‘Me Time’ for, I believe, the 5th day. I say I believe because I have lost count at this point & it feels like it’s been 100 years.
As this situation is unavoidable due to my wife, your mother’s, mandate that I not “Endanger The Children’s Lives” by taking unnecessary trips to wal-mart I have come up with a few simple terms that will make for a truce that I know both our people’s can live with so that peace & harmony will be enjoyed by all.
The Treaty Of Squatting Kid Creek
- If kids awake before sunrise or, more importantly, before Dad-Rise the kids CAN play Minecraft, watch ‘Netflix Kids’, play iPad games or any other Parent-Sanctioned activity as long as that activity meets the following requirements: It Doesn’t Wake The Parents!
- Pop Tarts, OJ, & Multiple Cereals will be made available to your people but NO, I repeat NO, Rice Crispy Treats may be touched.
- This land we share overflows with resources: iPad, iPod, TV, Netflix, Wii, & 2 iMac Computers. These resources must be shared by your people & not fought over because someone is putting lava on someone else’s house in minecraft or another obvious act of war.
|4″ Of Snow & 16 Degrees Outside! Fun…for about 7 minutes|
|Dean loves him some snow angels!|
For couple of professional photographers you would think that we would have awesome family photos all over our home! I mean really, pictures is all we do 7 days a week 365 days a year! Nope! The last photo with all four of us in it was about 4 years ago. Not only is it hard to pay someone to do what you do for a living but it’s also that fact that after taking thousands of photos a month you have a style you like. All that being said it adds a layer of difficulty to the task when you are dealing with any kid with special needs, I’m sure you all feel me there! You learn to love the picture of your little one looking off into space as long as there is a good smile or making that face that they always make! That’s my style anyway, we have never been a fan of the Wal-Mart Portrait Studio ‘Turn Your Head To The Right & Smile’ style of photography. I hate that stuff! We did a promotion this fall where we did a massive amount of families in 30 min intervals in a pre-set scene. It was awesome! So why not throw our family in there, set the camera, & have someone push the button! (We have tried the timer function before & NOOOOOO way is that worth the trouble!) After seeing the end result as well as some others we snapped while warming up to do the family portrait I got to thinking how much easier it is now days than it used to be!
I have photographed Jayden for a long time & we have photographed other kids on the spectrum, parents like it because they know I’m not going to get impatient or upset because I know what it’s like working with autism. It’s either a very slow stand offish process or a very high intensity in your face process! Either way they are some of my favorite shoots. I got to thinking, what have we done to work up to having Jayden take an amazing photo every time you point a camera in his face!
|This was a fart sound induced smile!|
- The camera is always around! In one form or another we always have a camera & are shooting photos! After it becomes the norm then the camera is not some scary thing or a big deal at all.
- Showing the picture! My own kids, sessions with kids on the spectrum, or even NT kids all the same I show them their picture! Let them see the end result & how great it is! Positive reinforcement!
- No forced looks or smiles. This is actually easier for families on the spectrum because they are not so hell bent on an everyone smile & tilt your head to the left photo! Call it lifestyle photography, call it photojournalism, what ever just take it as it happens. That’s when the real smiles come. Then it’s just a matter of a stolen glance your way that’s captured to make an amazing photo.
- Snap, Snap, Snap! I can go into a session with NT kids & come out with 700 photos & work that down to 60 amazing images. I pay my mortgage with photography & my camera cost me more than my first cars combined so maybe you shouldn’t shoot 700 but always take a ‘Better To Much Than Not Enough’ mentality when it comes to shooting pictures. You can always delete the blurry ones & the ones of the back of their head!
|Zion reeled this monster in all alone!
He was so proud of himself but stood
over me to ensure I didn’t hurt the fish
while I was getting the hook
out to set it free!
|Be Very Very Quiet…|
|How about I shoot YOUR eye out!|
|Fishing our hearts out!|
|I roast children!!|
|Probably in the top 10 all time dad moments! Epic Fatherhood Win!|
|They were super impressed how fast I started the fire! I was super impressed how well I
was able to hide the fire starter log under the sticks!
|Exploring 12 acres of awesomeness. Lots of screaming because of bugs but awesome!|
|He hit the target dead on first time! Thats how I’m telling the story…I wont mention that after he did he threw the gun & ran to the target to see. We are still working on safety but thats why dad loaded 1 BB at a time!|
|Did it rain? Did we go swimming? NOPE! Thats all sweat! Time to go home!|
|The nasty aftermath of Oklahoma Heat & being up at 10PM|
|I didn’t want to do that thing where you forget how much something sucked because you only
remember the good parts so I snapped a pick of me so I would think carefully about it before
another last minute camping trip in freakin’ August!